Monday, July 30, 2012

Coworkers

That “don’t shit where you eat” really hits home for me these days. This next story was not a high point, but it’s an important development to include here. Please pardon my seriousness.

I spent the majority of last year working for a fairly small company. We had about 15-20 people in the office at the very most. One day, we got a new coworker. He was cool enough, though I never really found myself particularly drawn to him. We had a lot of crazies, so it was nice to have someone who seemed fairly reasonable around.

This particular co-worker seemed to laugh at my jokes a lot and pay particular attention to what I was saying. This is not something I noticed initially AT ALL; I tend to be oblivious to a lot of stuff like this. Also, he was engaged, so it really wasn’t on my mind at all.

One Friday, some co-workers and I decide to meet for happy hour after work. Anytime I leave my house alone to go to a bar, whether or not I have plans to meet people, I now call a “solo mission” (I have since tried to avoid solo missions, FYI).

To make this infinitely long story tolerable, I’ll tell you that I met up with this co-worker at a bar with his friends and things went downhill from there. After the first bar we went to the second, and then we went to a bar that I only go to/is only fun when I am blacked out. I remember being in the bar partially, but I have no recollection of leaving. The next thing I know, I wake up in bed with probably the worst feeling I have ever experienced (as a result of my own actions completely) FUCK.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Next, I get a text “I guess work won’t be awkward now.”

Since I can’t get my head at all around whatever happened, I finally force myself out of bed at 2:45PM.

The next week, and probably for the following two to three months, I went through a period of extreme shame. Sure, everyone has their drunk fuck ups, but this was not some random person, this was unfortunately someone who I sat NEXT TO at work and was engaged.

Enough dwelling on that. It finally becomes funny/alarming when I realized his level of obsession with me. I entertained some hilarious texts I probably should have ignored, and get all kinds of crazy messages at all hours of the night.

My favorite series suggested that something was happening with my roommate. After my lacking text response, I get a text saying “moustache ride?” which is saved in my phone.

This happened almost a year ago, and it took me about six months to be completely over it.

In case you were wondering, him and his fiance are no longer together. I highly doubt that this was because of me. I also happen to know that I was one of many of his indiscretions.

Glad to be done with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment